Monday, May 31, 2010

Meet Me Monday & Memorial Day!!


Well its a new week! Here we go. I first wanted to start by saying today is Memorial Day...a day to remember our fallen soldiers and an opportunity to thank the ones who are currently serving our country. Our US military, and their families, make me so incredibly proud and humbled by their service.

My family is touched by the military and the honor we feel that makes such a big impact on each and everyone of us. My Grandpa Elmer who lived in Hawaii during the times of pearl Harbor, My dad Frank & husband Chris are all Merchant Marine's, the most under appreciated part of the military but lets not forget the Merchant Marine's that have died supplying our troops. In World War || 9,300 gave their lives. Merchant Marine's are all signed up to go at a moments notice with the coast guard to bring support to a war if they are needed. Yes even ferry workers are signed up for this they do know this when they sign up for the Merchant mariners document. 


My Grandpa BoBo who past away when I was 5 was in the Navy and a part of the Korean War. I have heard many wonderful stories and how much he gave to his country, family & Community.  I wish he would have been the one that could have told me these stories himself. 


My Father in Law "Dewey" Was also in the Navy and last year on Memorial day he invited us to join him at the VFW and had us help serve the service men/women. When we were done serving they had each of the service members stand up while I never had experienced the feeling of being proud and thankful to these men and women like that before, all along were so selfless that they would lay down their lives for the country. I felt very lucky, honored and proud that my father in law served during the war and I felt so amazed and overwhelmed that it brought me to tears. 

I am an incredibly grateful and myself & my family appreciates the men and women, and their families. To the children who get left behind and to the spouse that become a single parent, in absence of their loved one. To the people who sacrifice so much to protect our freedoms and what America still stands for even when it seems like most people have forgotten. Well we haven't, we are blessed to have people that still  volunteer. I am amazed at all their dedication to our great country. We are blessed to have all of those that are so brave.



So, with that...thank you. Thank you all SO much for what you do and how very much you give.


On to meet me Monday! ...........


1. Is there something you've always wanted to try but just can't muster up the courage to actually do yet? I would very much like to try to sky dive, I would like to have enough courage to also start to sing in front of people again.

2. If you had $100 handed to you in cash without your significant other knowing about it, what would you spend it on? At this moment I would buy stuff for our house, especially for the outside. If I didn't do that I would buy soap making stuff! :) Or scrapbooking items for the scrapbooking retreat I am going on in July!

3. What was your favorite piece of playground equipment as a child? The swing's!

4. Do you prefer a sweet or hearty breakfast? Sweet! :)

5. Are you a Neat Freak or a Messy Bessy? Complete neat freak 99.9% of the time!


No comments: