Friday, May 28, 2010

Sex and the City 2.......




Last night I went and watched the 7pm Sex and the City 2 and I have to say that it was a wonderful movie. I am even thinking of going again. The funny thing is we all have these women in our real lives that we are friends with. We all see ourselves in one of the characters. The characters that I see myself most like ( with out the heals and trendy clothes) would have to be Carrie.  I have never related to a movie as much as I did with this one. The entire Carrie & Big thing was really how I feel with "Hub's"we are perfectly happy being just the two of us for the most part, but deep down I feel like we have pushed that feeling up to the surface to protect us, for not having a third wheel. I love being the "aunite" like Carrie does but is it really enough? 


The Fashion in Sex and the City 2 is what it always is but why are we bringing back hammer pants. It died with MC hammer why are we bringing these things back?  If I wanted to look like I wore a diaper I would slap on some depends. I did love  the fact in the last scene of the film that "Big" & Carrie were huddled on the couch and he was in his business suit and she was in an evening gown.... I think "Hub's" would shit himself if I laid down in an evening gown on the couch to watch a movie.


The film opens with a gay wedding - a gay best friend of one of the girls is marrying a gay best friend of another. "How did this happen?" asks Miranda. "I thought they hated each other!" THE Best part of the entire movie for me was seeing Liza Sing all the single ladies & being the officiant in the Gay wedding. Made my heart swells with love! Might I add that I would die for her legs......

The films' appeal lie in something grand living on the nostalgia of a once-good show, a show that managed to redefine sexual roles, and a film franchise that couldn't have done more to set them back. Now every tick and trademark of the show has become a commodity. They were into fashion? Now they change every two minutes (at one point, they change in the middle of the desert, yet they look like they've each been given 60 seconds in a Salvation Army store). Again the Hammer pants!?! What the heck?

This movie was everything Sex and the City is.. Amazing.... and I love a movie that I can laugh till I cry and cry till I laugh.  I love my girlfriends that I am lucky enough to have in my life the girlfriends that I have, make me a better person. I hope you all know how much I love you!

Yet as any Sex and the City fan will tell you - after they've told you how it's about them, and about their life and their friends,  they will tell you it's all about the message of it. The message. Yes. And the message is this: everything will be okay. That's always the Sex and the City message. Because when you have girlfriends like I do its always going to be okay. 


You may have walked into the theater wearing clearance sandals and a Target handbag, smuggling in your own popcorn and soda.... but you leave feeling like one of Carrie’s friends. Michael Patrick King empowers the characters and audience by embracing womanhood and the magic of escapism. I look forward in another two years to watch sex and the city 3.. maybe by then Carrie and I will be ready for babies.

No comments: